Monday, January 19, 2015

Wicked Sick - Slang and Reality in more than one Language (Jan. 19, 2015)

Sooooo.... Hi :)  Just to let you know, yes I have been sick this week. But I'm doing a lot better already, except my nose has been rubbed raw because we didn't have any tissues... But today I got tissues with lotion in them :)  My nose is already much happier haha :)

Anyway I'm shortening my email because we're really trying to stick to the hour and 15 minutes more strictly and my super long emails take up a lot of time haha :)  But the work is going so well here in Granby! :D

Monday 12th:
After we were done with emails, Elder Noel and I took a stroll down Principale and took pictures in front of a couple of the catholic churches.  We walked past 4 in about 20 minutes but only one of them is still open due to a lack of membership.  Sadly that night Benedict had to cancel his lesson with us :(  But we were able to have double duty on FHE with Kalila and Pauline! :D  Who said that you could only do one a night? ;)

Elder Noel in a little alley in downtown :)

Me in front of a Catholic Church 

Elder Noel in front of one

Me and another church :)

Tuesday 13th:
Tuesday was our complete day without a car but it turned out to be pretty great!  Frere Boulanger came down and spent pretty much the whole day with us which was awesome!  We got to teach Mara the Plan of Salvation which seemed familiar to her already and immediately after finishing the lesson, our little drawing of the plan went up on the fridge :D  

We had a lesson with Andre after that.  He is full of so many philosophies but Frere Boulanger got real with him and said he needs to look at things through spiritual eyes and not just the eyes of man.  (You'll read about how that turned out a little later :) )  Then that night it was pretty bad outside and so we stayed inside making calls and cookies then delivering them to people in our apartment building :)

Guarana :D
Elder Noel had never had it and it caught his eye last week :)

Wednesday 14th:
For lunch Elder Noel and I made... wraps... with rice, bacon, and.... lettuce....  Yeah I voluntarily put lettuce in it.  And I enjoyed it... I'm on the road to healthy!! :D  But we took a little walk and picked up our car from the shop.  Oh it looked like a beauty! :D  

Then we spent the afternoon passing by former investigators to not really any avail.  But one encounter we had was so strange!  We buzzed an apartment and went in to the door and knocked.  Behind the door was a little old woman with darker skin.  We started talking to her in French and then she spoke back... but we had no idea what she was saying... I can recognize Spanish now but it wasn't even close to anything I'd heard before... But she was so nice! :D  She smiled and spoke regularly in her own language so we're thinking we're going to go back and bring a world map to find out where she is from haha!  That night we went to the Wallaces for dinner.  They have Brother Wallace's brother living with them right now and so we got talking with him.  Doesn't have much background in religion but we set it up that we're going to teach him! :D

Thursday 15th:
We had zone meeting in Longueuil all morning and afternoon but it was such an answer to prayer because it was 90% about finding!  We did tons of roleplays on using different tools and situations and I loved it!  A phrase I loved from one of our Sister Training Leaders was: Are you too stressed to bless or too blessed to stress?  Powerful stuff!  After all the training we had interviews with president which is the best!  He says that I'm doing great which I feel so as well.  That night when we finally got back home, we were able to scramble up a lesson with Nannette.  Although her friend Gil was there so we involved him in on the lesson and now we're going to teach him too!  He was even super interested in the Book of Mormon!  People are being prepared!

Friday 16th:
Friday was when I first started feeling the sickness come on.  But later that day we were passing by some people and we stopped by Andre.  In talking with him we found out he really started to read the Book of Mormon and was almost through 1 Nephi!!  He had some philosphical problems with it but the fact that he's reading it means we are going to find out soon if he is ready or not!  

Then that night we had a lesson with Manuel and his wife Melissa.  They have a huge problem with the Book of Mormon and do not accept it as the word of God.  But we went for boldness with out lesson and pulled out 2 Nephi 29 about why should we complain that God is giving us more of his words?  Then it got a little heated but thank goodness for my companion.  He exercised Holy Boldness and in a firm strong voice told Manuel that he hasn't read the Book of Mormon so he doesn't know what he's talking about (more or less that anyway).  But after that Manuel said he'd read it!!  Woo!

Saturday 17th:
Saturday morning we were with Frere Boulnager doing hometeaching which was awesome!  3 lessons back to back to back!  Then we had a follow up lesson with Mara on the Atonement which went well.  But as we were leaving she asked some questions about baptism...She was super curious which is an amazing! Sadly sickness overcame me that night and we had to stay in :(  But the transfer call and we're both sticking around!  Woohoo!  But we are getting a new district leader!

Sunday 18th:
It was super funny at church because all the members were taking the motherly role of advising me on how I could get over my cold.  I heard so many different tricks and remedies haha!  Sadly Mara was the only solid investigator at church... but then Mara was at church and she is on fire!  She is doing so well!  As she was leaving church again she asked about baptism and said that our next lesson has to be about baptism in depth!!! How's that for some sweet words to missionary ears!  

That afternoon we went and taught Shelley the Plan of Salvation but she was sick too so we gave her a blessing.  We also found out she is narrowing in on her baptismal date for sometime this summer!!  When we got back home, I had Elder Noel give me a blessing and then I went to sleep.  I slept for a good time and goodness I needed it!  When I woke back up I was not very full of energy so we had to stay in again.  But I took advantage of it and watched Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration which I love!!! It's so good and honestly just fans the flame of my testimony :)  I know this church is true and that it is THE church of Jesus Christ :)

Also another thing that I have discovered this week is Tisane or in English, herbal tea.  President included two in their Christmas mug for us so I tried it out and it helped with my cold a lot!  So today out shopping I bought some more lemon and ginger ones :)  Also tissues infused with lotion are the best :)

So that was my week! It was awesome!  And I'm looking forward to what could be happening soon!  I feel like Mara could be getting baptized in the next couple weeks!  Hopefully before next transfer call just to be sure haha!  

Take care my family!  I love you all!

Love,
Elder Kennen Brooks of Granby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment