This week a pattern that I have done in my studies and also that we have focused on is Revelation and the Holy Ghost. They are such fantastic gifts that Heavenly Father has sent us! I nearly cried when talking about it at one point this week! But in a companion study Elder Noel (my new companion) shared how we can prepare for revelation. He said that we do not choose when we receive it but we do prepare ourselves to receive it. He likened us to soil and revelation to a seed. If we do not prepare the soil by nourishing it with water and nutrients (such as the scriptures and church and prayer) then we will not be ready to receive the seed of revelation when God sends it. So my challenge to all of you today is to make an effort to prepare yourself for the Holy Ghost to speak to you in a still small voice. Our entire church is built on this truth that anyone can receive revelation for themselves! Also if you want a supplementary study go give 2 Nephi 32 a quick read :)
Monday 5th:
We had the best FHE ever that night with the whole crew! We talked about how we can receive answers to our prayers and the Spirit really guided us as we shared this truth. We also linked it with the story of the First Vision and Joseph Smith because he prepared himself and received revelation. To start it out though we played "telephone" with everyone and the kids to show that we don't have to go through someone else to talk with God :)
| Elder Losee and I at FHE :) |
Tuesday 6th:
We left Granby, Elder Losee and I, around 9:00 and stopped by some people on our way to Montréal. At the mission office there were 4 elders from my MTC district! Elders Pyron, Gutierrez, Hernandez, and myself. Super fun to see them!
| Elder Gutierrez and me at the office! |
I also received a package with another apron!! I am one lucky missionary :D Thanks Joe and Julianne especially for the little legos too! :D Elder Losee and found our new companions and it wasn't too dramatic except a big long hug because Elder Losee is just a big teddy bear! :) But I met Elder Noel and we hit the ground running!
| Out with the old in with the new haha! ELDER NOEL :D |
Once we got back into Granby we had 15 minutes before we jumped into two lessons back to back! Immediately I knew that I was going to enjoy working with him because we were teaching together super well and completely by the Spirit. I really admired how he asked some inspired questions to these investigators that he didn't even know!
A little info on Elder Noel: He is from the Seattle Washington area. Second oldest. Went to BYU for a year. Serious when necessary, deep when required, and light hearted as well! He's pretty great!
Wednesday 7th:
I have really changed around my personal studies and so now I am really delving into topics and not just reading through the books. (Although right now I am through almost half of Psalms!) But I have felt so much more guided by the Spirit because of this switch and companion studies have just been an extension of that helping each other learn and grow! At district meeting that day we almost got stuck in Granby because of the snow but it cleared up right in time and I was so grateful for that! District meeting was fantastic! We all shared stuff from our studies and I felt so edified afterward! We didn't even have to prepare something specific for the meeting because we had all prepared spiritually.
| My study space :) Super intensive and in depth! |
That night we went to Addie's for dinner with Samson and it was so fun! Addie has amazing stories of her coming to know the church and Samson just loves everyone! :D At the meal I even ate fish and liked it! What am I becoming haha! ;)
| Addie, Samson and Elder Noel for dinner at Annie's |
Thursday 8th:
We started the day out with a breakfast of champions with eggs, bacon, and english muffins. Then when we finished I said "let's have a day of champions" and boy did we! We had a study of champions led by the Spirit.
We had a lesson with Samson to help him feel the power of the Book of Mormon and recommitt to find the truth in it. We found a lost potential (TOP HAT GUY!!!) at Tim Horton's where we had a lesson with Kalila. With Frere Clark we were able to overcome a cancelled rendez-vous and have two amazing lessons with Sister Riggs and Tania! I nearly cried in Sister Riggs's and Tania totally cried in hers because we worked by the Spirit and met their needs! It's amazing how the Spirit helps like that! We passed by Monique and found a potential by talking to people while walking between the car to her work.
We had dinner with the Wus which was awesome and I got my box of letters and pictures from home which I absolutely loved!!! Sister Wu also gave me a super nice homemade scarf :) We passed by Adrianna and Jeffrey and then contacted their neighbor and set up a rendez-vous with him! Had a pass by lesson with Antoine on the Book of Mormon. Then to end it we taught Astin and invited him to take part in the rock filling the whole earth as spoken of in Daniel 2. (No we didn't prepare it that way but the Spirit led us to find it.) Woo! By the end of the day we had 6 lessons and I didn't even know it was possible! :D
| Selfie for you Hannah - with my newly furnished wall of pictures :) |
Friday 9th:
I really studied chapter 4 of Preach My Gospel this week on recognizing the Spirit and I can see how it's blessed me. I feel more receptive and more guided as you might be able to tell in my letter haha :) But with the progress we are making right now and the goals we have I feel that we could have baptisms coming up super quick! :D
After weekly planning we had a day of cancellations haha :) 4 appointments fell through! That night we had the Clarks down in Granby with us and it was awesome! We were going to teach Adrianna and Jeffrey but they weren't there. There James, their neighbor who we had contacted, came out and the Clarks suggested that we just teach him instead! So we did! And let me tell you, having the Clarks is like having Mission President teach with you! They are amazing! We taught James the Restoration and introduced him to the Book of Mormon and committed him to be baptized! Woo! :D And set up to go back the next night :D So awesome! :D
| Elder Noel and I soaking in some sunshine with our shades haha! :D |
Saturday 10th:
In my study I as I was going through an activity in ch 4 of PMG I found Exodus 31:3 which talks of how the Holy Ghost ehances our abilities and skills. I have seen that multiple times in my own life and it is wonderful :)
But that morning we were able to wrangle up Frere Levesque and Samson and we went to a baptism in St Jean :) Then we had a couple lessons in the afternoon :) Mara is committed to find out the truth in reading the Book of Mormon :) Shelley is too as well as to pick a baptismal date :) Then that night we had our first lesson with the Top Hat Guy formally known as Benedict :) Elder Noel says he is one the most interesting people he has ever met and I would agree! He's awesome! But in Tim Horton's it was actually quiet so we went ahead and taught him about the Restoration through answering questions that he had. Super guided by the Spirit! Now he's committed to find out and we are going to teach him again Monday evening!
Then we had our lesson with James. We read 3 Nephi 11 with him and after we read it together we asked him how he felt. In his words he said he felt happiness through reading it. We pointed it out that the Holy Ghost was testifying to him that it was true :) Then we hit it out of the park by watching the Restoration film and he told us he nearly cried! AH! :D I LOVE MISSIONARY WORK! :D But at the end we invited him to pray and at first he said he didn't want to but we encouraged him that he could and through a lot of waiting and having Elder Noel pray for an example prayer, he prayed! :D He overcame an obstacle already! :D I love these people we have! :D
Sunday 11th:
Lots of amis weren't able to come but during the sacrament we had Mara show up! Blessing! :D Even though there were lots of amis missing we still had close to 30 people there, including the Wus! (The Wus usually attend the English ward in the area.) Frere Clark though became the assistant to the Bishop so he now has the keys to help get the work going at bullet train speed! I also got to play Be Still My Soul in the meeting and people gave compliments and I was just grateful that I have been prepared and that God has given me these talents to share :) Mara loved church though and as she was leaving she asked "so who's picking me up next week?" I love hearing that! :D
That night we did a lot of scrambling to get lessons because things fell through but we managed to get some. The crowning one was with Adrianna and Frere Donovan. We watched Finding Faith in Christ with her and answered some of her questions about Christ after. What I really loved was that when we asked her who Christ was to her she said that a while ago he was no one but now he's becoming someone to her. We're fulfilling our purpose as missionaries of bringing people closer to Christ :) I love it! :D We linked the Book of Mormon in with that it is all about Christ and she would grow closer to Christ by reading it. With that she committed to read! Frere Donovan was so thrilled to meet her and see the potential in her! Woo! :D
Lots of amis weren't able to come but during the sacrament we had Mara show up! Blessing! :D Even though there were lots of amis missing we still had close to 30 people there, including the Wus! (The Wus usually attend the English ward in the area.) Frere Clark though became the assistant to the Bishop so he now has the keys to help get the work going at bullet train speed! I also got to play Be Still My Soul in the meeting and people gave compliments and I was just grateful that I have been prepared and that God has given me these talents to share :) Mara loved church though and as she was leaving she asked "so who's picking me up next week?" I love hearing that! :D
That night we did a lot of scrambling to get lessons because things fell through but we managed to get some. The crowning one was with Adrianna and Frere Donovan. We watched Finding Faith in Christ with her and answered some of her questions about Christ after. What I really loved was that when we asked her who Christ was to her she said that a while ago he was no one but now he's becoming someone to her. We're fulfilling our purpose as missionaries of bringing people closer to Christ :) I love it! :D We linked the Book of Mormon in with that it is all about Christ and she would grow closer to Christ by reading it. With that she committed to read! Frere Donovan was so thrilled to meet her and see the potential in her! Woo! :D
Monday 12th:
Today in my study I read through Alma 48 and I made the connection that Mormon totally named his son Moroni after Captain Moroni! It goes really well with Helaman 5:6 :) Names are important! But today we took our car into the shop. We're working super duty with members these next couple of days :) The Fremonts picked us up from there and took us out to lunch to a fish and chips place and I totally ordered the fish willingly! What am I becoming!! Haha I'm really starting to like more things which is good :) But at this restaurant we totally got talking with this older woman and so she ate lunch with us and we talked! She wasn't too interested in religion but we made a good little friendship :)
Today in my study I read through Alma 48 and I made the connection that Mormon totally named his son Moroni after Captain Moroni! It goes really well with Helaman 5:6 :) Names are important! But today we took our car into the shop. We're working super duty with members these next couple of days :) The Fremonts picked us up from there and took us out to lunch to a fish and chips place and I totally ordered the fish willingly! What am I becoming!! Haha I'm really starting to like more things which is good :) But at this restaurant we totally got talking with this older woman and so she ate lunch with us and we talked! She wasn't too interested in religion but we made a good little friendship :)
| Elder Noel studying intently :) |
Tonight we're going to be teaching Benedict again and having two different FHE's! Woo! The work is exploding here right now! We almost had the golden 20 lessons this week! We got 18! That's even with lots falling through :) But this week we're committed to hit the Standards of Excellence! We are going to help Granby get off the ground and rolling down that hill til nothing will be able to stop it! :D
I am so happy here right now! Although one thing is that Transfer calls are this Saturday so don't send stuff too late this week!
I love you all so much! I was so happy to get all of your little notes! I love you!
Love,
Elder Kennen Brooks of Granby :)
No comments:
Post a Comment