Monday, October 20, 2014

Jokes and a Wedding Ring - Another Fantastic Week in Granby :) (Oct. 20, 2014)

Salut tout le monde!  A commencer, Je vous aime! :D Vraiment!
(Hi everyone! To begin, I love you! : D Really!)

Now I promise that this week has quite the finisher with the story behind the wedding ring so stick through the end! ;)

Honestly the work is just so fantastic and I love it so much and each day I feel that my capacity to love the people here and grow to love everyone at home just keep growing :) Now!  On to the week :)

Spiritual Thought for the Week!
Missionary work is not limited to just the missionaries.  The work of salvation NEEDS to be done by every member.  As Ezra Taft Benson said, "Every member a missionary."  Honestly us missionaries need your help to find people.  We need you to be planting those seeds in friends and strangers even so that they can be prepared when we come around or so that we can find these people that are already prepared.  So instead of having 88,000 missionaries, let's have 15 million! :D

Tuesday 14th:
So Valerie has now lended us her little synth keyboard which has led to some fun times but it lets me practice a little at home if I need to because I get to play piano every week in sacrament meeting now! :D  Also that night we stopped by Kalila and we got to see her family home evening activity with Lolo of the Armor of God.  So awesome! :D

Lolo in his Armor of God outfit :)

Wednesday 15th:
In my personal study I finished Exodus and staretd into Leviticus, the church handbook of the old testament!  Although in the end of Exodus it was cool to see the obedience of the people like everytime it says they did "as the Lord commanded."  

Our District Meeting was very focused on getting members involved in the work and like I said, we need your help!  I can just imagine a meme of one of the First Presidency pointing at you saying "I want you to help hasten the work of salvation!"  That would be great.  Hannah, you should make that and send it to me ;)  Then at home we got a referral from one of our neighbors who we just wave to really!  Miracle!  Then that night we stopped by Freddie our favorite Haitian and we got talking about the Bible and thanks to my reading in the Old Testament I was able to understand what he was talking about with Moses.  So cool!

Thursday 16th:
Went out knocking.  We're trying to keep our Ami (investigator) Pool fresh always so we can keep the work going, always finding people who are truly ready.  We had dinner with Addie and Frere Donovan and had a good talk about member missionary work.  At one point we were sharing jokes so, in French, I shared one of my favorites from my little bud Jonah.  There were three whales in an airplane and they all fell out.  Two landed on land and one landed in the sea.  "Buh dum shhh!!"  Haha Frere Donovan got a great crack out of that one! :D

Addie, Frere Donovan and me :)
I found decoupage in a French textbook heehee :}

Friday 17th:
Quick scripture thought from Ether: When we keep the commandments and are humble we will prosper in the land.  If we disobey and are prideful, we'll be destroyed. Simple as that haha!  Be good and don't try to take the kingdom from your dad or your brother!  Then inspirational thought from my memory book that I got for my birthday in the back of it, "If God leads you do it, He will lead you through it."  So good!  Thank you Hermana Gardner!  

We got to have our lesson that day with Damond who was our referral from our neighbor.  He had been taught by some missionaries in Granby about a year ago but he had moved and lost contact but he found us! :D  Then we had a good lesson with Elle and her family.  I love her kids so much!  They're so cute and they love me too! :D

Elle's son and me :)

Saturday 18th:
Leviticus!  There's honestly not too much to find in it unless you look really hard.  I found that the word Atonement is mentioned many times in connection with the different sacrifices and offerings.  It reminded me of Alma 34:14 that says that everything points to the "great and last sacrifice" which was the Atonement of Christ.  Super cool!  Also if you're wanting to learn about Faith then read Ether 12.  So much good doctrine in there! 

We did some knocking later in the rain and I have come to the conclusion that knocking is best done wet.  Seriously everytime we plan knocking it rains and it's just the best haha!  :D  That night we passed by an old less active and had a great long meeting with him.  He has so much faith but it just putting it into action which is the struggle.

Sunday 19th:
In the morning I got a call and was informed that I would need to give a talk in sacrament meeting.  Woohoo!  Haha I actually was already sufficiently prepared and wanting to talk to the members about member missionary work so it was great!  I read a lot from Preach My Gospel and shared some training that we had received from President Patrick.  But at church we had an awesome surprise!  We got a senior missionary couple that is assigned to Granby only!  So AWESOME! :D  Then later during Priesthood Elder Losee and I gave out a challenge to the men to take a Book of Mormon or one of two pass along cards.  As soon as the challenge was thrown it was accepted by the members whole heartedly!  I was thrilled!  Now we just have to follow up with them next week.

But here's the big wham bam story of the week and even my mission so far.  We went over to Tania's place to visit her and have a little message.  First we shared some stuff about the Armor of God with Simeon her son but then we stepped out with her for a little.  We shared a little something but then she said she had something to share with us.  First she told us to never stop being Elders.  Always keep the mindset of sharing scriptures and being light hearted and striving always to live the Gospel and share.  She said that those qualities make a good husband and father.  Then she turned to me and extended her hand to me with her old wedding ring and gave it to me.  I was dumbfounded and, some might say, flabbertgasted.  She shared about her marriage and how it hadn't be from the heart and so she wanted the ring to be given whole heartedly one day.  She said that when I do finally give it to that special someone that I should give my heart more than a rock.  Yeah I felt a lot of responsibility right there but also a priceless gift too.  So now I know that I can have a piece of my mission with me for the rest of my life.  What a treasure and a reminder of what I'm doing now! :)

The wedding ring that I now have in my possession. 
Pretty beautiful I'd say! :)

Monday 20th:
Today has been great so far!  I almost finished Leviticus and Ether!  They should be done tomorrow in my personal study :)  How's that for finishing two books in the scriptures in one week haha!  I love the scriptures so much!  Quite often Elder Losee refers to me as a scripture master haha!  Just means I have to keep up the study to someday become worthy of that title!

Also this next Saturday is transfer calls.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be moving anywhere but you never know so hold off on letters and what not this week until next Monday when I can tell you what's going on :)

Lastly, if you're feeling a little weighed down go read D&C 122:9.  "Hold on thy way."  

Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

And remember, if God leads you to do it, He will lead you through it :)

I love you all so much and I am just thriving in the work right now :)
Never stop praying because God always wants to talk :)

Love,
Elder Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment