Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Snake, the Holy Ghost, and a Nun :) (Oct. 14, 2014)

Salut everyone!! So to just start out I am doing fantastic!  Granby is doing so well right now and I am so excited for what is to come here!  Also personally I`m growing so much and it is the best ever!

Spiritual Thought:
The Holy Ghost is so real!  This week the Holy Ghost has testified to me time and time again.  While I have read my scriptures he testifies that what I read is true.  I feel the Spirit`s influence when I pray.  Also one of the truly special experiences that I get to see so often is when the Spirit tells me what to say or reminds me of a scripture so that I can share with someone.  I rely on the Spirit so much to help me when I`m teaching and just in everything I do as a missionary. So live how you can have the Spirit with you!  Get more acquainted so you can recognize him more in your life :)

Monday 6th:
Got myself a sweater that is lighter than my big winter coat.  Super awesome!  Then later we passed by Kalila`s and it was so cool when she showed me the interaction she`s having with you, my family and friends, through Facebook.  It`s so cool!  That night though we went to pass by a woman who lives in an appartment building.  We knocked pretty loud and she didn`t come to the door even though we heard her.  But then next door the door opened and a man we`d met before started talking to us.  We ended up having a little lesson right there with him, Robert!  So cool!  Then late that night we got a call from the Assistants to the President that we were going to be in Montreal at 9:00 the next morning for interviews and training.  Woo!  Haha crazy last minute though.

Tuesday 7th:
We mounted up to Montreal that morning with the Elders from Mt. St. Hilaire.  The best thing about this was that when we got there, I got to hang out with all of my MTC district and transfer.  But I was so excited to see Elder Bengtzen!!  It was so cool to see how everyone is doing!

Elder Brooks and Elder Bengtzen
But then I had my interview with President Patrick.  He is so amazing!  And it was very nice when I said the opening prayer he said I had a good French accent!  Woohoo!  Practice and prayers pay off!  But the largest thing i took away from the meeting was look to the Savior as an example in all things.  ALL things.  Such great counsel.  Our training meeting was also fantastic and just good to be with everyone :)

Afterward I took Elder Pilling back with me to Granby except we stopped in Farnham for a dinner with Valerie except the members who were supposed to meet us there hadn`t arrived...So we went knocking while we waited.  It was amazng how many good contacts we had!  The members then arrived and we had a fantastic meal!  I felt though like the members weren`t supposed to get there until after we had gone out among the people.  God has his hand in everything!

Wednesday 8th:
Wednesday we had our zone meeting which was fantastic!  I love meetings now so much because they are so edifying and just like a supplementary study for me to improve :)  They really focused on teaching heart to heart with the Spirit though.  I came up with a phrase for myself was that I can say things and get them into their head but only the Spirit can take those words down to their heart.  The Holy Ghost is the true teacher!

That night we passed by our new ami (investigator) Robert and went inside his apartment.  He had a friend there, Ahmad who is muslim and speaks English.  We ended up giving both of them Book of Mormons and had a lesson on the entire Restoration completely naturally and there were 4 different languages used: Swahili, Rwandese, English, and French.  Talk about tongues!  It was so cool!  But the Spirit definitely guided all of us.

Thursday 9th:
Read in Exodus and also Mormon 6.  "O ye fair ones." Such a sad section of despair for those lost souls. It's sad for me to see people that just don't even want to hear the Gospel everyday but I wish they would want it.  I can't force it upon them though for sure.  That morning though we taught Kalila the Word of Wisdom which went great.  At one point though she brought out her snake Archibald and I got up enough courage to hold him!  I was freaking out, in a good way, so much!  I loved it!  Don't worry Mom, I'm ok ;)

Me with the Snake
Later that day we were trying to pass by some people then on our way home Elder Losee turned to me and asked me if we wanted to get some fresh bread for dinner.  I agreed and so we went to Pain Pain our favorite :)  But as we were getting out of the car we saw some people we'd seen earlier and so we talked to them.  Turned out they were Anglophones so I found it easy to talk.  Through talking we found out this girl, Jennifer, had a friend who took her church once!  She then gave us her number and said we should meet up again sometime!!  miracle!!  Then we had a fantastic steak and potatoes dinner :)  Steak takes a long time to cook!

Steak Dinner!
Friday 10th:
Started into Moroni's writings at the end of Mormon.  I love Moroni so much!  He's so alone though :(  I found a simple way to serve though.  I started doing Elder Losee's dishes instead of asking him to do them.  It makes me so much happier!  There's no dirty dishes left and I'm serving!  It's a double blessing! :D  That night after arranging wood for little Granny Addie we had a dinner.  I remember that during the closing prayer I was just overcome with amazement and gratitude.  I am in a foreign country with a foreign language...and I understand these people.  I couldn't believe that I'm speaking a foreign language and that it's possible for me to even do it after only 2 months here.  I know that there is no other way I could do than through God.  The Gift of Tongues and also Gift of Interpretation of Tongues is REAL.

Saturday 11th:
So I decided to fast on Saturday to see if I could take part in the blessings that the Sons of Mosiah ask for in Alma 17:2-3.

 2 Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.

 3 But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God.


What a blessing it was.  When I was studying my scriptures I felt the Spirit so strongly it was ridiculous!  I loved reading Mormon 9 where it talks about how God is still of God of miracles.  I can testify of that!  I see miracles everyday in myself and in others :)  That day though I got myself a haircut at a coiffeur which was so nice!  He was bilingual so I got to practice my French and ask for more things too and talk about the Gospel too :) Although the best part was that he thinned out my hair just like I'm used to!  So now it lays a lot better than my hair cut from the MTC :)  Blessings!  

Before and After the Haircut (with my new sweater)

Right after we went to the Donovan's to celebrate Thanksgiving a little early with them.  (Canadian Thanksgiving was the 13th, the second Monday.)  Then that night trying to pass by people, nobody was available but we got to meet Ahmad's brother!  Then as we were just about to drive off, a potential of ours walked right past our car!  So I rolled down the window and called him by name and we then stood there talking for just about 45 minutes about him and where he comes from!  So cool!  Then before going to bed I shot off a text to Jennifer who we met two days earlier, inviting her to church.  She immediately shot a text back saying she'd be there!  So exciting!

Sunday 12th:
Church was the best!  The Boulangers brought the big piano and so I got to play for Sacrament Meeting!  I was so happy! :D ^_^  And who else should show up but Jennifer! :D  For the second hour we had an amazing Gospel Principles class with Jennifer.  She participated and took part and she seems so prepared!  I love it!  After church we went to Bernice with the Howards.  Turned out Bernice, who is 87 year olds, was a NUN!  "Can't you see this woman was a nun!?"  Hehehe :}  But we had a good conversation with her and so much of our beliefs are the same!  There's only slight differences like where our authority comes from between our churchs.  But everything else is almost the same!  Pretty cool for me to see that :)  

That night we taught Antoine and Marceline, watching the Restoration film and inviting them to read and pray about their newly acquired Swahili Book of Mormons :)  Then we taught Francois and Paulette.  We taught about the Plan of Salvation using the scriptures and what they already believed.  But I saw that when they were reading that their eyes just brightened and their understandings were increased.  Such a cool thing to see in action!  The Holy Ghost testifies!  I have high hopes for them :)

Monday 13th:
Started into Ether.  The Brother of Jared has so much faith!  He truly was a man of God asking for help and guidance in everything!  So cool!  We went and did groceries and after went to Tania's place for a true Thanksgiving lunch...Colombian style! :D  She and her mom made us Potato Farsi and a Turkey Veggie meat loaf.  It was all so good! Also great way to open hearts because her mom isn't a member but she's the one who wanted us over which is so cool! :D  

After that we headed out to Bromont for emails...We got to the Library and there weren't any cars... Yeah Thanksgiving.  Woops.  But we returned to Granby and actually had a full day of proselyting.  We taught Marco who Kalila found for us which was awesome!  He;s going through some difficult times but he's looking for help and guidance in the Gospel.  He seems so prepared!  Then right after we went to McD's right on Lac Boivin where Jennifer met us.  we all had hot chocolate and we talked and talked and taught about our church and answered questions that she had.  It was soooo cool!  She is already asking what she would have to do if she were to join the church, like give up coffee.  High hopes!  Then after dinner we had a lesson with our ami Astin before turning in for the night.  Honestly though I feel like our P-Day got turned into a V-day.  So much success and hope for the future!

Tuesday 14th:
So I had a good study in Exodus and Ether.  I read from the Bible and Book of Mormon everyday which I am learning so much from!  The Bible is so cool!  Also our companion studies are improving everyday!  I love it!  Language study is awesome because I get to mark my scriptures and just read more and improve where I'm at.  And now I'm here emailing.  Life is glorious as a missionary.  I am helping with the work of salvation and I see so many blessings.

I want you all to know that I know this is the true church of Christ.  I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet who saw God the Father and the Jesus Christ the Son.  I know the Book of Mormon is true.  I know that you can find out the same.  Just Read, Ponder, and Ask.  That's all!  It's that simple!  So go do it if you haven't already.  Ask God if what I'm saying is true.  I can promise you that you'll receive an answer if you have a sincere heart and real intent.  Do as the prophet Moroni declared :)  Only blessings will follow :)

I love you all so much!
I love this work so much!
I love these people!

Take care and "Gardez combattant le bon combat!"
Keep fighting the good fight!

Love,
Elder Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment