Monday, October 6, 2014

CONFÉRENCE GÉNÉRALE!! :D (Oct, 6, 2014)

Salut tout le monde!!! :D  (Hi everyone) 

I'm going to just start out by saying I love General Conference so much!!!  And I'm also just very hyped about missionary work that I'm doing right now.  On one occasion a member told me that I was so happy and energized that if she didn't know I was a missionary she'd think I was high haha :)  Yeah I'm just a ball of joy aren't I ;)

Spiritual Thought:
Prophets.  We have modern prophets that can direct us and help us traverse this rocky road of life.  The opportunity we just had to watch General Conference is such a blessing.  I feel so edified from it and I found so many things that were personally relevant.  I challenge you all to review what was said.  Go over those talks you missed and find some little way that you can improve your life right now.  I know that you will be blessed :)

Monday 29th: 
So after emailing we went shopping and I got myself a heavy winter coat!  And instead of $400 like I was told to expect it was $90 (partially thanks to a coupon that I had for 15% off ;D)  That night we passed by a member to see how she was doing and while we were talking at her door her neighbor came out and immediately we engaged him in the conversation and got talking about the church.  Right there and then we planted a seed of curiosity about the gospel and invited him to learn more from us and the member :)  Also it was such a pleasure to get a letter from my Grandma Brooks :)  Definitely loved the Donald Duck sticker on the envelope haha :D
My New Coat!

Tuesday 30th:
So in the Bible I read about Jacob later known as Israel :)  Cool cool stories!  Did some transfering of markings between scriptures which I do during some of my language study.  Did tons and tons of calls to get stuff ready for the weekend.  We made mac and cheese and had the bright idea to try putting it on croissants.   Yeah that failed...  But oh well haha! :)  That's what happens when you have two oversized boys living together!  Then it was Christmas.  A letter full of photos!!! :D  I was so happy!!!  Then there was some music in it too! :D

Wednesday October 1st:
October has arrived. Wow.  Read most of the story of Joseph in Genesis.  It's awesome to be familiar with the story since I was in the play but then really getting into the whole story like it is in the Bible.  Woo!  Lovin it!  We went to Elle's house for dinner that night which was super fun!  At the end we had a great little message and even sang hymns with her and her kids!  Woo!  Planting seeds of the gospel and nourrishing the kids with the spirit :)  Then afterward we went straight to Sister Rigg's house with Frere Donovan for a lesson.  We shared Mosiah 2:1-9 as it pertains to General Conference.  It is so cool!  Seriously go check it out and ponder it in respect to our day and our conferences.  We even have towers like they did!  :D  (Also before the lesson got started we were just talking and Duck Dynasty came up.  Man that show is so funny! And that's that Jack!)  Also I've been teaching Elder Losee to sing parts and in general better and he's learning so fast it's incredible!  Going from ground zero to something better!

Thursday 2nd:
Finished the story of Joseph completely and with it Genesis!  I never would have been able to thought that I could go through the Bible so quickly!  I'm learning tons!  That afternoon we went and arranged wood into an organized pile for Addie with Frere Donovan and Kalila.  Then had a fantastic dinner all together.  Addie's mashed potatoes are the best!!  That night we stopped by Astin's and ended up having a lesson with him.  When we came in he had the Teachings of Lorenzo Snow manual just laying there on his table.  We asked him about it and he said he'd just been reading it a little for fun.  Wha.... From further talking we found that he believes in our church and the Book of Mormon.  We need to get teaching this guy and fast!  Then at the end we invited him to Conference and he said he'd be there for sure!  So much potential with him!!

Friday 3rd:
Read the beginning of the story of Moses.  Ah yeah!  His story is so cool because his upbringing is so different.  He was raised Egyptian and had all that culture but through a call from God he became a prophet!  In our companion study we were trying to plan for a lesson and we were trying to find scriptures in the Bible to "justify" what we were teaching.  We were failing.  Then all at once we switched our thinking.  We don't need to justify anything.  I came up with the phrase "Don't Justify, TESTIFY!" :)  Seriously justifying is according to men but testifying is according to God.  That night when we actually had the lesson with Antoine and Marceline, the Spirit was there and at the end of the lesson he said the closing prayer as we all kneeled.  Awesome experience.

Saturday 4th:
For the first session we went to Tania's, a newly found member, and it was awesome!  We had 11 people there from super strong members to less actives.  It was super cool to see the one Elder give his talk in Cantonese to start things off!  And by the way we were watching in French with English subtitles for us Elders :).  I really loved President Uchtdorf's talk on receiving greater light.  It was just the thing that we invite people to do from Moroni 10:3-5.  Read, ponder, pray, and then act! :D  Between sessions we had a potluck there of which we had supplied the cookies :)  

Potluck at Tania's

Francisco and Lolo!

For the second session we went to St. Jean at the chapel there.  We got to watch in English with the 2 elders there and some members.  I loved Elder Perry's talk on parenting.  I was nearly brought to tears of gratitude for what my parents had done for me.  I was especially reminded of all those nights of one of them kneeling beside me while I said my nightly prayer as well as countless other examples.  So Mom and Dad, thank you.  Thank you so much for bringing me up and teaching me the importance of those little things since I was little.

Between that session and the Priesthood session we had an activity of a Ping Pong Pizza Priesthood Party :)  It was awesome!  Got to even meet some of the youth from St. Jean!  Again we got to watch in English which was a blessing.  But I couldn't help but think of Jonah during Elder Eyring's talk of preparation throught the Aaronic Priesthood.  Keep preparing Jo!  You're going to make a fantastic missionary in no time :)  After the session we left for home and finally got home at 11:20.  Sooooo late haha!

Sunday 5th:
Kept on reading in Exodus for my study. They finally made it out of Egypt! :D  We went to the Cegep early to get conference all set up.  We had some members bring laptops and we hooked them up to the projectors in the rooms which was awesome!  We had a great turnout for the first session.  16 people!  What was even better was that Elle and Astin showed up and what's even more was that Astin brought 3 friends!!! They stayed for the first hour but honestly I think that's awesome that they stayed even that long!  I loved President Monson's talk about the scriptures.  I have really grown to cherish them so much since coming on my mission.  They hold so much truth and goodness and light!  Study them everyday everyone! :D 

Between session we had some time to socialize.  The Boulangers had gotten a nice piano from Sherbrooke so I got to play and we all sang some.   Also had time to get to know Tania and her boys a little more.  She is going to bring so much life to this unit!  Her little boy Fernando has got to be the funniest though.  At the beginning of the second session (French like the first of this day as well) Fernando was taking my tag off my shirt and then playing with it for a little then putting it pack in my shirt pocket and continuing to do this for just about the first 45 minutes haha!  Still took notes amazingly haha!  He's just a riot of energy honestly.  

Singing Hymns and What Not!

I really enjoyed the couple of talks with lists because it's easy to write those down :)  But Elder Bednar was awesome! I loved that it was specifically directed to non-members and why we do what we do.  SO cool!  It also showed me why I'm doing what I'm doing some more too.  That night we went and taught Francois and Paulette with Frere Donovan.  We introduced the Book of Mormon to them better and they just drank it in!  At the end I invited them to read it, ponder, and then pray asking if it is true and they accepted it whole heartedly.  Ah I love them and they're making good progress :)  Maybe we can get them and Elle all baptized on the same day! Wouldn't that be a sight! :D

Monday 6th:
This morning I read Exodus some more and I loved 17:6 when Moses smites the rock and waters flow from it.  It is very much a type of Christ as he is the rock of our salvation and through him being smitten as he was crucified the living waters flow forth to all through his Atonement.  So cool!  I love seeing all the connections to Christ in the Old Testament right now.  This morning we also got a call from a potential and she said that she had found a member of our church!  We were dumbstruck!  We called them up and it might actually be legitimate!  Hopefully it pans out! :D  Just goes to show that anyone can be a missionary :)

Funny thing of the day though is that Elder Losee decided to throw a little Cup O Noodles like meal into our groceries for himself that I didn't look at too closely.  Turns out it has Kimchi in it.  He has no idea what it is and I refuse to tell him cause I'm curious to see how it turns out :)  Should be fun! :D

That's all for this week!  The work is hastening here in Granby and time seems to be flying by!  I love you all so much and there's nowhere else I would rather be than here in Quebec :)


Love you all so much!
Keep strong in the faith!

Love,
Elder Brooks :)

(He wasn't able to upload all of the pictures this week.  Hopefully the WiFi will be better next week and we can add the rest of them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment