Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Le Chef! Two weeks to Lift-Off (July 22, 2014)

BONJOUR!!!!! :D  So this week has been very great!  I hope you got my letter to Hannah and used some of that for the blog because I don't think I'm going to tell what I said in it again... So share Hannah ;)  Anyway I love getting letters because then I have time to actually write back a lot and mail it to you so DearElder or write real letters! :)  Loved the letter I got from Dad yesterday :)
But here's the week!

Thursday-
Not very much happened but we created personas for a potential investigator and then another companionship in our district would teach us as that investigator which was really cool!  It really opens your mind as to what these people are going through when you teach them.  Had another cactus cooler party :)

Friday-
I felt like I was kinda plateauing where I was at with my learning... It wasn't a good feeling.  But we taught our investigator Albert about the restoration and he asked the question of how could Joseph Smith stand to be in God's presence...I tried to think of an answer and convey it but I completely failed...I was going way too in depth and complicated and couldn't say it in French.  Thank goodness one of my companions stepped in and put it so plainly and it was so fantastic!  He just said that Joseph Smith could do it just the same as prophet's of old like Moses.  So great!  It's truly inspired that we go preach in companionships.  I played Soccer for the first time during gym and it kicked my butt. I was so out of shape!  

Sidenote- that reminds me of my "diet".  Really this diet has consisted of not eating any of the desserts in the cafeteria except ice cream twice a week on Wednesday and Sunday.  You can see the results in todays paragraph :)

Saturday-
Everyday I read from my Livre de Mormon and I'm understanding more and more each time!  It's so cool to be able to read the scriptures in another language because the wording can be slightly different but mean the same thing and just show you it in a different way.  I received the package of sheet music from Mom and I was sooooo happy!!!  It was like Christmas literally!  Opening a present and getting just what I wanted! :D Thank you! ♥  We also taught José the Plan of Salvation and he understands really well!  It is so cool to teach someone something and have them reexplain it back to you just right in plainness.  The gospel is so cool that way that it can be so complex but also so simple.  We then invited him to church and he accepted!  He's taking awesome steps and it makes us so happy! :)

I'm also realizing that I'm really getting tired of cafeteria food... I wanna cook!  I wanna see what it tastes like! ;)  But really I want to make some real pancakes or some simple chicken or just an oversized sandwich.  Only two more weeks!  Also soccer again but not as bad!

Sunday-
Did studying in the morning.  Then I got called out for an interview by a member of the branch presidency.  Two other elders came in and in turned into training for all the new District Leaders!  I'm really excited for it!  In French we're called le Chef de District haha!  But I feel like it was just the push I need to get off my plateau and hiking up the mountain!  I really hope that I can help the district become better and keep preparing as our time winds down here. 

We then had some time to do online study.  I did a lesson about Family History and its importance in missionary work.  It makes me so happy that our family is so involved in it both personally and in callings and work!  It's the best!  I then looked around on Family Search and I came across Enos Mason Blaylock.  He has the coolest facial hair ever!!!!!  Seriously go look him up now! :D  Also, Dad do you think maybe I could get the iOs app for KinPoint when it debuts? :D

Enos Mason Blaylock - my Great Great Grandfather
Had our meetings after lunch.  Sacrament meeting was about Enduring to the End.  An interesting thought was the word we use for induring in French is persévérence.  Its a lot nicer than enduring sometimes because we don't just roll with the punches.  Instead we have to press forward and keep making progress! :)  Priesthood was about the Atonement which I absolutely love!!  It is so awe-inspiring that the only perfect person EVER was willing to take upon him our sins and die for us.  I am so grateful that I have personally come to Christ and know him and that he is not just our Savior but my Savior and Redeemer.

That was followed by my first District meeting as leader.  It went really well and I kicked it off with seeing how we can improve our learning and preparation.  Felt good to make good goals!
We had choir practice later with Brother Eggett.  We're singing Lead Kindly Light and he shared all kinds of stories of how the song is a humble plea of change and coming to the Savior.  "Lead thou me on."  A great example for all of us.  

Devotional was by T.C. Christensen who directed so many church films including 17 Miracles, Ephraim's Rescue and Testaments.  My favorite part was when he talked about spiritual wolves.  It reminded me of Boyd K. Packer's talk on spiritual crocodiles in Africa.  The wolves are like temptations and challenges in our lives.  But unlike the crocs, when we are faced with the wolves, we can turn tail and get out of there as fast as we can.  But when we don't have that option we can stand strong and scare the wolves away so that they never come back.  It gives hope to us that we always have the power to overcome.  I also really loved the story of Ephraim Hanks and Thomas Dobbson.  Thomas's feet were practically dead and Ephraim was called upon to heal him.  He was asked if he was a holy man to which he replied that he had many problems.  Then he was asked how he could do such great miracles as with the healing of Thomas's feet.  He replied simply: "I try."  We can all do that but we need two things- Preparation and the Opportunity.  When we gave prepared for any moment and it arises, miracles will happen.  I love it!  He was also a great example of someone that was always ready to answer the call of the Lord. :)

Monday-
In the morning with Frère Call, we practiced inviting someone to baptism who then has a concern, resolving that concern, and then reinviting them right there.  It was great practice and I learned a lot from it.  Later we taught Albert the Plan of Salvation and answered questions along the way so he would understand.  Then at the end I totally invited him to baptism!  He had a question or two but we answered them!  Then we asked again that if he received the answer that baptism was the thing he should do that he would do it and he said yes!!!  So exciting to see the practice come to fruition! :)  Frère Call called this a kind of Holy Boldness.  As missionaries we have to be bold sometimes so that we can help others hear and come to Christ.  During some of my personal study I've been reading Jesus the Christ and I love it!  It really helps me to understand just about everything in the Gospel more but also the Bible because of the Jewish culture that I'm learning about it.  Gospel is alive and well!
Played soccer as well and I kicked its butt for once haha! :D  I'm getting back into shape which is good so I shall press on!  Even earlier on Monday we had a wall sitting competition to wake us up and I won so I felt pretty good ;)

Tuesday now!
This morning we went to the Temple and I was hoping for the new film but we had some language needs in our session so we actually watched the Old film!  It was really cool!  I'm also grateful for the new ones too :)
Got to take an hour long nap after which was glorious!  Went to go weigh ourselves then... and I haven't gained anymore!!!! :D :D  Woo!  I have stopped the downward spiral of fat! ;D  So yes it is possible and I hope that I'll continue to decrease throughout my mission haha :)

That's all now!  Have a wonderful week and write me!  I love getting mail and I love writing back so if you want to hear from me more write me! :D

Persévére jusqu'à la fin!  Endure to the end!
Until next week!
Love you all sooooo much! :D
Elder Brooks
This is me doing email ...

Sometimes we get a little bored in class...

Elder Cotcher and Sister Jenkins!  We all were in the Mens Chorus Womens Chorus Activities Committee! :)

Elder Casper from OHS!

Sister Wright in the middle and I were friends at BYU :)


No comments:

Post a Comment