Wednesday, July 16, 2014

8 Pounds Later (July 15, 2014)

So we weighed ourselves today...Yeah I've gained a couple pounds...  Time to make some changes haha!  But all is well and all my clothes still fit perfectly :)  But here's the run down for the week!

Tuesday-
Finally got a picture with Elder Joe Anderson who I was roommates with!  Our devotional was amazing!  Elder Neil L. Andersen came and spoke to us about the Spirit.  I couldn't stop thinking just how blessed I am especially right now in the MTC.  The Spirit is always so strong here and I can't get enough of it!  We had a district discussion afterward and I bore my testimony about the Spirit and it felt so good and so strong!  I love it! :D
Elder Brooks and Elder Anderson

Wednesday-
We got beaucoup de (lots of) new missionaries!  All of them are going to France though but there are some really cool Elders and Sisters!  Had my first experience in the TRC- Teaching Resource Center.  We taught two sisters, one of which was from Belgium the other Richfield haha, but we taught them about the Atonement.  We were still getting used to language but let me just tell you that the Gift of Tongues is so real!  I spouted off questions and comments and I had no idea where they were coming from but I still understood it!  It was amazing!  The Spirit was just so ridiculously strong during our meeting especially when the two sisters shared their testimonies with us.  At dinner, I ran into some friends from college.  Elder Sam Carlson who was in my quorum at BYU and we went to a couple concerts together so I gave him a huge hug when I saw him!  I also ran into Sister McKenna Wright who I had also met at BYU.  During gym it was sprinkling a little but it felt so good!  Volleyball! :D

Thursday-
We taught our investigator José from Alma 36 about repentance and a change of heart.  The Spirit was so strong and I was able to testify very strongly of Christ and his Atonement!  I'm continually making progress during my stay here at the MTC in French.  I even extended the challenge for him to pray to know the truth of our message and also to pray for repentance.  I love being able to share my testimony in a way that strengthens others.  We also started teaching our other new investigator, Albert, but he's not very enthusiastic.  We're working on him though! Then we had a crazy awesome deep discussion with Frère Nash about the Plan of Salvation. I love the deep doctrine!

Friday-
We had Frère Laguan come in and talk to us for a bit.  He went to Montréal on his mission.  He talked about all the different cities and the culture.  I AM SO EXCITED!!!!  Montréal is divided between English and French but it's like a major city where you ride the metro and take public transit everywhere.  I cannot wait!  Ottawa is all English which will be cool but still a major city.  Then Québec is all French and extremely European.  It's like a little slice of France he said with castles as well as big cities.  It seriously is the perfect mission for me in every single way!!!!  I also got a couple letters from Joe & Julianne and Grandma & Grandpa Brooks which I was so grateful for!  It made me so happy especially the pictures that were sent along with it :)  Thank you! :D  Seriously though, pictures are sooooo treasured here because we don't have facebook or photo albums to look through so please send me physical pictures if at all possible :D  Of anything really haha :)

Saturday-
We taught Albert today and what did we focus on?  Happiness :)  We even started out by singing "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today" :)  Haha yeah it was awesome!  But we're trying to show him the blessings that the gospel can bring into his life.  His wife is already baptized so she's being a support to help him read the LdeM and to pray also.  We also taught José.  We focused on Alma 32 (I love Alma so much!) and nourishing the seed of the word that he already has within him.  He was so receptive and we're able to have great discussions with him about the gospel.

Sunday- My favorite day!
I love Sundays so much!  Study all morning, mostly Jesus the Christ which is super intellectual and right up my alley for my love of deep doctrine, watch Bible Videos and Mormon Messages which are the best, and then run into one of my good friends from high school?   Sister Carly Lewis!  So awesome!  In sacrament meeting, my district did a special musical number that I put together.  We sang I am a Child of God in 3 languages since two elders speak Spanish.  But it was so good and the Spirit was there!  In Priesthood which follows right after, I led a small group in a discussion about enduring to the end.  I really am a leader but I also know how to follow.  Such a blessing!  Then I led our entire district in a discussion about Baptism.  Took our temple walk which was so hot!  I want to go to cold Canada now!! Haha ;)  Had Choir Practice after dinner with Brother Eggett who is so funny and so awesome! :D  The song we learned is actually above ward choir level so I get to hit a high A!  FINALLY!!! :D  Then we had an exodus over to the Marriott Center since the regular place is having it's floors redone.  But it was so cool to see all the missionaries walking there like an army of saints.  We had a great talk from Brother Heaton the Admin Dir for the MTC.  He spoke all about how Charity is absolutely necessary for any work of the Lord.   Without it we're simply salesmen but with it we are servants of God.  Ran into Hermana Gardner and we finally got our awkward hand shake picture haha! :D

Awkward Handshake with Hermana Gardner

Walking back from the Mariott Center

Monday-
We taught José this morning, followed up on Alma 32.  Then we read some scriptures about the blessings of baptism.  We asked him about his thoughts and then I shared a super long testimony of why we were teaching him, because we care and love him, and about all the blessings I have had in my life.  THEN he agreed to be baptized!!!!!!!  We  were so ecstatic!  Not because we got out first baptism committment but because he was taking steps in the gospel.  Then Monday night after an especially rigorous game of volleyball, which I'm getting pretty good at, Elder Peery, Elder Bengtzen, and I had an idea.  We all got Cactus Coolers, a soda, from the vending machines in the residence, and we drank them while showering.  It was heavenly.  Never has that soda tasted so good haha!

Tuesday- So far...
This morning we finally got to go to the Temple!!!!!!  I have missed it sooooo much!  We went with our entire zone and so we filled up an entire session!  Seriously we had some Elders sitting on the Sisters side it was packed!! But it was so refreshing to be able to partake in the work there again :)

Other updates-
Yeah I've gained a bit of weight as all predicted haha :)  I'm going to try and do better and eat better by cutting some sweets out so pray for me haha! :)  
Also, my hearing has gotten considerably better.  They're still a little sub par but I'm going into the health clinic later today to make sure I'm going to continue to get better.
French is coming so fast!  Sometimes I even prefer talking in French when I can because it's fun and so cool!  Hopefully sometime this week I can find some time and record a video of me speaking for all of you so you can hear me too :)

The Church is SO true so don't you forget it!  Keep strong everyone!

I love you all so much!
♥Elder Brooks

Ummmmm yeah so I guess I'll talk to you next week!  But I encourage anyone to Dear Elder me!  I'm getting better at writing back as Joe and Julianne and Grandma & Grandpa Brooks can attest!  You're all wonderful! ♥♥♥

 Amiral Ackbar - C'est un piège! (It's a trap!)

The chouette chouette which means the cool owl haha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment