So this week we had a fireside Sunday night with some members and non members and we were in charge of preparing it all. We had been given the topic of the Plan of Salvation so Sunday morning we dove in! I was engulfed in a depth of knowledge as I reread scriptures I was familiar with already. We really are so blessed to have the knowledge that we do of the Plan of Salvation. It guides our every step as we think of that eternal kingdom awaiting us. The Lord has paved the way for us to return to live with him and our Heavenly Father. It's up to us to choose it! (see 2 Nephi 2:26-29) I know that God has an individual plan for each of us. He will help you know it if you ask him in prayer. He is there!
As for my invitation for you, I invite you to read through and study lesson 2 of Preach My Gospel which is on the Plan of Salvation. I promise that as you do so you will have a greater appreciation for this knowledge and greater desire to share it with others. :) So will you do it? ;)
Monday the 22nd:
We had a great visit with Sr Mingione. We watched the Restoration film and it brought back all sorts of memories for her. She really feels like her story is so similar to Joseph Smith as we all do at times. It really is inspiring to watch and rewatch that simple film. She's making progress little by little in reading the Book of Mormon. We're just waiting until coming to church really clicks with her and she comes back. We're here though inviting her all along the way! :)
Tuesday the 23rd:
We spent most of the day knocking which was fun. It was strange though because not at any moment was I truly discouraged when people didn't accept us. And then when we found 4 people that day that were open to listen I was ecstatic! :D
That night we also got to visit Sr. Casavant. She hadn't read what we left the last time so we read 2 Nephi 4 with her. It was beautiful to see the scriptures brighten her day and give her strength. She just needs to do it everyday like we invite her to! But she's started listening to it now :)
| Greek tacos! |
Wednesday the 24th:
We had an awesome district meeting. We had a recent convert from Terrebonne there as well as the zone leaders. The recent convert did a French training for us on things he hears us mess up a lot which was great. Towards the end I gave a training about gratitude. It was powerful to go to D&C 59:21, Ether 3:5, and Philippians 4:6-7. When we are grateful the Lord with answer our questions and fulfill our desires. Check it out! :) I even gave a bold promise to them that the Lord would accomplish their requests in their prayers.
Then after that I went on an exchange with Elder Seelos who is from north eastern Utah. It's always fun to be back with Utahns ;) We along with Elder Pyron and Elder Barreiro had lunch at Mahmud's pizza place and then Elder Seelos and I taught him. We focused on the Godhead but then he went off on some questions. One of which he explained to us that he believes that Adam and Eve are symbolic for the earth and the air... We'll work on that next time. But then we went around and did service for random people in the strange weather which included shoveling and helping people get their cars out of the snow. It was fun! :D
| Stir fry with the Joliette Elders, Elder Pyron and Elder Seelos |
| A frozen tree from freezing rain |
Thursday the 25th:
During companion study I went aside with Elder Seelos for a little evaluation of our exchange. It was a great experience getting one on one with him. I really felt like I was minstering to the one and he's just such a great missionary! So awesome! :D
| Elder Pyron, Elder Barreiro, Elder Seelos, and myself |
Shortly after that we went over to the chapel where we had our interviews with President Patrick. Sister Patrick was also there so while Elder Barreiro had his interview I practically had another one with Sister Patrick. It was awesome! :D She expressed how the Ville Marie ward really misses me, especially my voice in the choir haha :) Then my interview with President Patrick was just wonderful. We talked about how things were going in training and in the area. I was so edified during it all. President also had some very kind words for me. He expressed that President Sénéchal, the stake president, felt like Repentigny should be doing really well so President Patrick sent in me. Wow. How's that for some expectations to live up to! But he has a lot of confidence in me. Time to live up to it! I guess the Lord was preparing me for this time in my mission. President also added with a wink in his eye that the last 6 months of his mission were when the best changes happened for him. It's great to have a good relationship with him :)
So now fast forward to that night, we had passed by some people and then I felt like we needed to pass by someone Elder Barreiro and Elder Pyron found the day before. When we did they let us in and we got to teach 4 members of that family. They are the Losier family (which sounds way to close to Losee haha) and they are from Haiti. They have met with missionaries before but it's clear that the Father didn't really understand that much especially about the Book of Mormon. But we're working with them and they love having us! And it was super cool when the son chimed in explaining to his dad that the Book of Mormon was different from the Bible with different prophets and everything. So awesome :)
Friday the 26th:
We had a lot of cancellations during the day but towards the end of the day we got to visit Arnaud. We addressed his questions about the Kingdom of God and it was just way too cool. Literally every question he had, we had the answer. I haven't run into a lot of people with honest questions like that but I have loved helping him understand better. His only problem is that he won't read the Book of Mormon for himself. We're working on that though.
Saturday the 27th:
We taught the Losier family again. It was pretty interesting in reading the introduction to the Book of Mormon when all of a sudden the father asked about Melchizedek. he said "You know there's someone that isn't talked about a lot in the Bible. His name is Melchizedek. What do you know about him?" We then opened up to Alma 13 and helped him learn some more. Way too cool haha :)
A little later we taught Jose for the first time. He's from Peru so Elder Barreiro was at the reins and I just testified at the end and listened to the Spanish which was fun. It was beautiful to see the man read Moroni 10:3-5 and accept the invitation to do it :)
That night we got to see the Bentancur family. We set some expectations to reteach the missinoary lessons with them to help them on their path to getting sealed and then we taught the Restoration. We watched the video with them and it really touched them. It was even in Spanish but since I know it so well I knew exactly what they were saying haha :) It really brought out their testimonies which was just what we wanted :)
Then we stopped by Sr Mingione and read a couple chapters in the Book of Mormon with her :)
Sunday the 28th:
I loved going through the Plan of Salvation that morning. Especially diving into the Pearl of Great Price with Elder Barreiro. So much knowledge!!!! We got a surprise call during studies from Claire asking us to find her a ride for church. It was a miracle! But it was super sad when the Bentancurs didn't come to church again. 3 weeks in a row :( Keep praying for them! Work is a doozy keeping them from coming but they're so good!!! Claire and her 13 year old daughter Mia came though and had a great experience! I accompanied a special musical number of "I love to see the temple" and Claire was totally crying when I went to sit back down. It was awesome! I love the power of the music when coupled with the Spirit :) We had the chance to talk to our bishop briefly as well and he feels like someday Repentigny could be its own branch. I like where he's looking with this :)
After church we had dinner at the Veillon's home along with the Pommiers and Darons. It was a privilege to get to talk with these wonderful people who are so consecrated to the Lord and his work. It was practically a testimony meeting after dinner as they just shared story after story :) Then we had our fireside. Pres. Lavene from Elder's Quorum brought his nonmember daughter and as we started by explaining that we'd answer the three great questions of "where do I come from?" "why am I here?" and "where will I go?" she started crying. She then explained that she recently lost a friend in a car accident. Immediately the Spirit was present. It was beautiful :)
We split off into 3 groups and each group had a card with 4-5 questions with a scripture to answer each questions. We had some wonderful discussions and when we came back all together and shared what we learned it was just great! Although I did have to play referee a little in keeping things grounded on the basic doctrines we had a good time together. Afterward, we passed around a sheet with "who do you know" questions for referrals and we got two referrals! It was Elder Barreiro's idea and it worked great! :D
Life is going great here in Repentigny! We're finding, we're teaching, and we're doing the Lord's work! What more could you ask for!
| My wall |
I love this work. I know it is the Lord's will. I know the Savior lives. I know you can know personally too. He loves you personally and he suffered for you. Try and get a little closer to him this week because he has promised this: "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you."
I love you and more importantly He loves you,
Love,
Elder Brooks :)
No comments:
Post a Comment