Monday, February 8, 2016

Trainer in Training (Feb. 8, 2016)

 The names of all members and investigators have been changed.

Hello everyone!  This week was ridiculous!  In a good way though :)  You know how people will often get up in fast and testimony meeting and say how they always have their calling changed as soon as they feel like they can do it?  Well that's super true for me haha!  Being an assistant was a piece of cake for me!  Being a District Leader and Trainer is whole new ball game :)  But it's good!  I wrote down in my gratitude journal the other day that I am so grateful that I am not expected to be perfect but that I'm expected to try my best.  It doesn't mean I won't have hard times but I know that I will overcome them!  I'm really so excited to see how much I am going to grow through this new assignment with a new missionary :)  It's exciting in and of itself! :D

Monday the 1st of February:
So that night we had dinner with the Rakomalala family which was a blast :)  They are so much fun and they have been fun to get to know really.  Then we got to stop by the Narciso family and say goodbye.  I love them so much!!!


The Rakotamalala family :)

The Narcisos :)



Tuesday the 2nd:
In the morning I got another bag packed and we took two of them over to the mission office to make things easier on Wednesday.  Then we had calls with all of the zone leaders for one last time for me.  Super weird I'd say.  We got to stop by and see Francois one last time too. He's just the best!  He said it finally clicked with him and reading the scriptures every single day even if it's only a little bit.  He said that because we were persistent in following up and inviting him to do it that he realized it must be something really important and he started doing it and now he can't go a day without it! :D  So wonderful!  I really feel like I left him in a good spot :)

That evening we went to the airport to pick up the new missionaries.  It was awesome!!!  I was the first person to hug the new Elder of the plane ;D  May or may not have been planned.  His name is Elder Barreiro and he's from Los Angeles.  He's pretty chill!  It was really funny driving him around for the next day and getting to know him, knowing that I'd be training him.  It was super funny when he was talking about things he hoped he would have in a trainer.  I may or may not have taken notes ;)  But he shared how he was in Jazz band on trumpet (check) and how he really wanted to speak French all the time (check) and that he was on track (check) and I was so pumped!
Dinner at the Patrick's was great as usual and once we went home I had just a few more things to pack.  It was crazy leaving it all behind again.

Skyline at our stop on the mount :)

The new group :)

Wednesday the 3rd:
We got up early and over to the mission home.  We had breakfast and then went over to the mission office.  There were trainings in with President and then once Elder Caine arrived I said goodbye to them all and slipped over to the trainers meeting.  It was perfect!  Then when the new missionaries came in, Elder Barreiro saw that I was the only Elder and he freaked out because he thought I would be the last one to train haha!  It was too cool!  I totally planned it out perfectly to surprise him! :D


Elder Ritz

Elder Barreiro and myself with the Patricks :)

But then we got off on our way to Repentigny!  We drove off the island and got to our apartment, (which by the way is really nice!) and got a few things unpacked before we did a little bit of companion study before heading out to a dinner appointment.  We met the Levant family who is a mixed Panama/Quebecois family :) The kids were super funny :)  The food was delicious and during the meal Elder Barreiro let out that he can lay down some sick beat boxing.  The kids loved it haha!  Now I just need to learn to sing some things with him.

That night we also got in contact with our Bishop and Ward Mission Leader and they gave us some names to work with :)

Thursday the 4th:
First studies as a trainer.  Totally different.  It's strange knowing so much but then having to communicate it to a new missionary.  I'm really learning a lot at seeing everything with new eyes and it's helping me be more exactly obedient for sure :)

District meeting was pretty fun.  All of them knew me since I had been an assistant which was pretty strange but I felt like it went well.  We have two teams of Elders plus us and a team of Sisters.  (One of the Elders teams goes to the Terrebonne ward where as the rest of us are in the Mascouche ward.)

That night we got to visit Sr Mingione.  She's an Italian Quebecois who's the sweetest little woman :)  We followed up on her reading and she expressed how she loves the church and that her heart's in the restored church but that her friends are all in her old church.  She wants to do what's right but just lacks the motivation and faith in some aspects.  But we read from Alma 32 to help her with that some and we'll see what else we can do in the future :)  I was really pleased with how much Elder Barreiro participated though.  It was great! :D

Friday the 5th:
We spent a lot of the day planning still.  We also had to go get groceries since the apartment was practically out of food....and that night we went out to pass by a bunch of people.  We didn't have any lessons but we got to meet some of the people in the ward which was good.  It was good :)

Saturday the 6th:
We got to visit Fr. Bienvenue from Haiti on assignment from the Bishop.  He lost his wife a month ago to cancer and so we're trying to support him.  It was so sweet to hear how they were sealed just prior to her passing.  I am so happy that this is an eternal family! :D  We shared from Alma 40:11-12, 23 with them and it really touched them all :)  Then that night we were passing by some more people and both of us took a fall on the ice.  We felt like our pride needed a good beating haha ;)

E. Barreiro's thinking spot :)
Our nice apartment :)



feeling good! :)

Sunday the 7th:
We had our first correlation meeting with our Ward Mission force.  It was so great!  Things are really organized here but there aren't too many members out in our area.  But we'll get things going :)  Our church meetings were great.  We got to bear our testimony and I felt very inspired in giving mine.  I testified of the power of the Gospel in our lives as we do the simple things and it brings miracles in our lives :)

That evening we got to visit a referral I got from Sr Cerise in Ville Marie.  It was her sister and their family.  It was great!  They were very willing to receive but unfortunately not too willing to leave their church.  But they are open to reading the Book of Mormon!  We'll see what we can do.  No return appointment though but we'll see what happens :)

Then we went to visit Marisela, a recent convert of about a year or so.  She turned out to be not at home but then she gave us the address for her aunt's place.  We went over there and got to have a lesson with her and her aunt as well as our newly set apart Elder's Quorum President.  It was awesome!!! :D  Elder Barreiro even committed the aunt to be baptized and she accepted!  No return appointment though :P  but some good prospects!

So there's my week!  We're doing a lot of building up of the area but it's going well :)  I love you all so much so keep working hard and doing those daily things!

Love,
Elder Brooks
Trainer in Training :)

No comments:

Post a Comment