Monday, November 10, 2014

Bring in the Cold! (Nov. 10, 2014)

Hey everyone!  Fantastic week!  I think I`m just going to jump in though!

Follow up!  So as missionaries we do lots of following up what we commit people to do so I want to know how the social media challenge is going!  Just send me a quick message or maybe even any experiences that you have too!

Monday 3rd:  
So Monday I was contemplating getting another coat.  Thankfully I didn't get one because that night when we went knocking, we met an old man named Maurice.  We had a decent contact with him but then through talking we found out he had old ties to give away so we got a bunch of old ties, one of which I'll actually wear haha!  But then he showed us around his house and in a side room there was a closet filled with suits and coats from when he was a bus driver.  There was a long grey coat that caught my eye and then he told me to try it on and then gave it to me!!  Talk about a blessing right during the need!  So I now have a long grey trench coat and it's awesome :D  Elder Losee got an old Quebec license plate from him :)

Maurice at the end of the hall
New coat!

Tuesday 4th:  
2 Nephi 25:26 Christ is the center of everything that we do, especially as missionaries :)  I love it! 

We went walking around on Rue Principale and ran into tons of people that we know!  It was so cool seeing how they just got placed in our path!  We even ran into a couple who had met old missionaries a couple times on the road.  Sadly they weren't interested in meeting with us :P  But that night we had pretty much had a Panda Express pandabowl with rice, a little chicken, and mixed veggies.  So good!  Then we got to go to Ward Council!  Woohoo! :D  But then my camera stopped working and hasn't worked since :(  (He's using Elder Losee's camera until he gets a new one.)

My handwriting, the last picture my camera took :(

Wednesday 5th:  
That morning I finished Joshua in my personal study.  I enjoeyed reading the well known Joshua 24:15 of "choose ye this day whom ye will serve...as for me and my house we shall serve the Lord."  Power scripture!

We had District Meeting with the Zone Leaders.  We talked a lot about how we are in the last days and that the work is kicking up so much!  We have so much at our fingertips to share the gospel so do it haha! ;D  We're so blessed!  We had a great lesson with Valerie after that and we're gearing up to start teaching her daughter Shelley!  Super excited because Valerie is taking a large role in planning what to teach her and helping teaching her.  At our apartment we made Fettucini Alfredo with chicken in it.  Comfort food to max because it was almost exactly like Mom's :)  Missing just some nutmeg I think.

District Meeting! 

Thursday 6th:  
For my personal study I took some time to read over some family histories.  I loved reading about Robert Harris Jr. and the Brooks Pioneers.  I take so much strength in reading them because it's so inspiring!  I also commenced reading Judges.  There are some awesome little mini stories in there!  

All of our lessons fell through that afternoon so we went knocking!  But we met a woman who said she was inspired by us young men going around spreading the good word because most our age aren't doing much good for the world.

Friday 7th:  
Snow. MY FIRST SNOW IN CANADA CAME!  Sadly none of it stuck all day.  That morning though I finished 2 Nephi!  I love how he just finishes it up by bringing it all back to Christ.  So powerful!  

New tie from Maurice and candid study picture :)

We went out knocking and contacting that day and I can say that it was the first time that I was actually cold on my mission.  But we're well equiped!  That night we had a lesson with Robert our ami.  We showed him how the Book of Mormon and the Bible go hand in hand .  He said he believes that their both true but he was very honest in telling us his one problem.  He doesn't want to be baptized a second time.  I was so grateful he told us that because now we know his need!  It was beautiful!  But we have high hopes for him and we're really going to try to help him build a testimony on the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith to take care of his concern.  Oh and at the end of the lesson Elder Losee was once again able to work his magic and fix Robert's computer.  Using talents!

Saturday 8th:  
That morning I read the story of Samson in Judges.  Kinda sad story of his fall.  But then we went to the Solomon's and helped them rake up leaves for 3 hours.  Woo!  Their huge backyard has tons of trees and so even with 5 people and lots of big equipment, it took a while.  But afterwards we had to run straight to a lesson still in service clothes.  

There we had our first lesson with Martine.  She is awesome!  She's extremely christian, but doesn't belong to any church specifically.  She LOVES the Bible and in our discussion, she uses almost all the same terms for things as we do!  It was so cool!  We got the Book of Mormon to her and introduced it and Joseph Smith but came up to some problems.  She doesn't see a need for anything other than the Bible and doesn't see the need for authority at all.  But it's ok.  We've got direction and we can work with it.  Things are going well!  But after that lesson and service I was whipped.  So exhausted both physically and spiritually.  

But that night we went out inviting some less-actives to Ward Conference and at the end we got to visit with Tania and her mom.  We're seeing her mom slowly open up more and more, little by little to the gospel.  We're not teaching her yet but it's a hi possiblity!

Sunday 9th:  Ward Conference at St. Jean!  We got there early because I was going to sing with the choir (how's that Mom! :D) and I had practiced bass on my own over the week but also practiced tenor too just because I could.  During the practice beforehand, the star tenor came and his voice was ravaged!  Totally gone!  So I switched over from bass to tenor and in their words "saved the day".  So grateful that I had the prompting to learn both!  Then right before sacrament meeting, Elder Hunter from St Jean asked me if I wanted to play the piano for the meeting.  So I got up there and played without practicing and it went great! Again I was so grateful for the practice and preparation that I put in beforehand to be able to do that!  Thank you Mom and Dad and everyone who helped me and supported me in my music! :D  Such a blessing!  In fact after the meeting a woman came up to me and said, and I quote, "I know a super missionary when I see one."  I didn't know what to say!  I thanked her and just turned the praise elsewhere, to my parents and to God for helping me, because honestly my musical talents are a gift and I'm more than happy to share! :)  

It was very cool during sacrament meeting to see the Stake Presidency and Bishopric pass the sacrament.  Such power and authority, I thought.  Just cool :)  It was awesome though to have our new amie Monique there! :D  She just ate it up and loved it!  The members were all over her and everyone was sharing conversion stories and just helping her feel included.  So awesome! :D  

Ward Conference with Tania

Once we finally got home after a lunch that was provided, we had some companion study but we just hit a wall in trying to plan for a lesson.  It was so hard!  We felt out of unity and everything and finally we just had to give up and go forward in faith.  We were able to go give blessings to some less active children of a member with Frere Donovan before going to this lesson that we had so much trouble with. We went in with Frere Donovan and he understood that we were relying on faith a lot.  We got talking and somehow we got talking about energy drinks and the dangers in them.  Then Frere Donovan whipped out D&C 89 and we taught the Word of Wisdom so naturally!  It was amazing and such a blessing and answer to prayer!  They actually already follow it all except for coffee which is to be expected.  But I came out feeling good that it had gone where it needed to go.

Monday 10th:  
So today I finished two books in the Bible! Judges and Ruth.  Super good!  If you're looking for some crazy war stories, Judges is where it is at, although Ruth is a better story of love and service :)  Our diet has changed dramatically since last week.  We have veggies just about every dinner.  I'm eating a lot lighter in hope of loseing weight.  I'm in good form but a little more padding than I like haha ;) But who knows!  Maybe it'll keep me warmer ;D  All in all the work is working along and Granby is getting closer and closer to becoming a branch in the coming months!  So exciting and I'll probably be here to experience it! :D

Take care all of you and know that I pray for you and love you so much! :D

Elder Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment