This week I have been reading through the mission of Ammon and the rest of the Sons of Mosiah. I love it so much! It really is so missionary oriented. These examples show us how to really share the gospel in so many different ways and the scriptures carry so much power in these stories. Ammon won hearts with his service and then he was bold in bringing them the truth. Aaron was the master of inspired questions as he even testified in the way he responded to where Ammon was. Then as I read in Alma 26 today, I was very touched by the joy Ammon felt because I have those same feelings. I have seen so many brought to the gospel during my mission and it brings joy like nothing else. D&C 18 really tells us how it is.
SO! You're invitation for this week. Read over your favorite scriptural missionary story (Alma, Amulek, Ammon, Aaron, Helaman, Samuel, Paul, etc.) and choose one thing that you are going to try and emulate from their example. I know that as you do so you will feel the Spirit work through so that you may be an instrument in the Lord's hands as so many have been and are today.
Monday the 4th:
So at dinner that night with the Desselles, I was talking with them a lot about the food. They were super impressed with my knowledge of terms such as peppers farsi, nutmeg, and a rare word for things at room temperature ;) At one point, Sr. Desselle called me a francophile because of it! Haha I got called a french lover from a Belge! It was awesome! :D Afterward we went home teaching to Fr. Rainier and we found out that he is pretty much the most eligible bachelor ever! He's very well off and through our discussion, he has a great knowledge of the scriptures.
Then we finished out by visiting Fr. Jaeger. We read the 1 Nephi 8:1-16 and tied it to missionary work. We taste of the fruit ourselves and that urges us to want to share it with others. Its simple science even haha! :D But it was powerful as we shared it. It made him think of people in particular and we were able to encourage him to invite them to taste of the fruit :)
Tuesday the 5th:
During calls with President the question came up of what we do when people bring up the fact that we're going home soon a lot... President's reply, "I'd like the answer to that question too." Haha it was funny to be in the same situation as him :) But then we all thought about it a little bit and President received an answer. We ask them for referrals! :D Haha it was brilliant! I loved it :D
That afternoon we saw Fr. Esteve and we went over the Plan of Salvation with him. I don't know what it is but sometimes I have the hardest time staying awake at his place. It's just so warm and his couch is really comfy. "It's a trap!" But thank goodness for the Spirit to push and prod me awake in it :) I think it comes from the fact that I'm just always tired. It kinda happens like that when we work hard and especially as an assistant. Always things to do! :D
That night we went out with Fr Pellissier. Sadly our lesson with a new ami Elie fell through. We met some of his neighbors though :) But then we visited Sr. Garza. It went well as we figured out what we can do more to help her grow her faith. She said that the biggest thing was the commandments. So that's what we'll focus on! Then we visited Sr. Florian and her two boys. We had a great little FHE like lesson on Prophets and the Restoration. She even shared an awesome experience of when she was very protected in a car accident and she attributed it to God :) It was great!
Wednesday the 6th:
We visited Francois that afternoon to help him out on getting his talk started for Sunday. We were so excited for him! We got him all set up with the different tools he can us including the guide des écritures and True to the Faith :) He was on his way before we left! Dinner with the Narciso was a pleasure as always. But that evening we went down to the chapel where we met up with Everett. We got on a computer with him and got some ordinance requests printed out for his father and grandfather. Then after a little lesson to help him prepare for his talk coming up (in which he pulled out his rough draft that was already super good), he had his interview with the bishop for his temple recommend!!! :D It was awesome! :D He's all set!
| A great highway sign that reads along the lines of: Sobriety while driving for a long and happy year. Haha too good :) |
Thursday the 7th:
Thursday I really notice just how much days are slipping by one after another like nothing. Time goes faster as you get older, especially as you get older in mission perspectives. It's funny to joke with younger missionaries that I have as much time left as they have under their belts. But Thursday we had weekly planning and then we had meetings at the chapel that evening. Our correlation meeting with Fr. Meline was super good. Both teams came in a little discouraged because not much was going on with our investigators but Fr. Meline knew just what to do. He suggested that we all fast together on Sunday to each find a family. Then we started sharing scriptures about how Faith makes all things possible and that the Lord has prepared people to receive us. It was so invigorating and it was just what we needed! Then we had ward council and I found that I was less and less afraid to share my thoughts and opinions. I've been here a while haha :) But in talking about possible topics for sacrament meetings I just couldn't help but think that we needed to get down to the doctrine of things and not scratch the surface by talking about "the importance of activities"... We need some more milk and meat of the gospel! :D
Friday the 8th:
We did an exchange with the zone leaders of Mount Royal and I got to go with my good old friend from BYU Elder Harter! He was in my YSA ward and we actually both served on the ward council together. Too cool right?!
Right after exchanging we got to work. The night before, I organized a huge binder of all our former investigators putting them in different sections by the areas they were in. We first headed out to Lachine where we don't spend too much time but I felt strongly that there were people waiting for us there. The first person we decided to pass by turned out to be one. We buzzed at the door and Delaine from Côte d'Ivoire let us in. And what was more was that her husband Sargent was also home so we got to go inside immediately! We sat down with them, said a prayer, and then questions started flowing. Before we knew it we had taught the first half of the Restoration just through questions and then testifying to their responses and adding little bits of more restored truth. But I was amazed when she recounted the First Vision simply in her own words. It had been years since the missionaries came so I felt like this was an inspired visit. We finished teaching the lesson to them and then we invited them to pray to find out and be baptized. They weren't too keen on being baptized again but we'll see if the Book of Mormon can soften their hearts some and help them understand better. But it felt so good to see how the Lord answered our prayer to find new people and we did on the first try!
Later we visited Francois again. he showed us his talk so far and it was great but a little short. So we gave him so ideas and some scriptures too. We empowered him through the knowledge he already had and it was great! He's just so solid!
| A Kings Cake given to us by Fr. Rodier. When we ate it, I got the king so I got to wear the crown :) |
| Elder Harter from my YSA ward :) |
A little video for my old roommate Elder Joe Anderson
(see the video on the blog)
Saturday the 9th:
we unexchanged that morning and then Elder Ritz and I immediately went to the chapel where we met up with Everett and Fr. Melerine. Then after a short while, we were off to the temple!!! :D When we got there we were the only ones there for the baptistry so we waited around while they got workers ready to help us out. Once we were all dressed in white, the temple president and his wife came in and talked to Everett for a while to help him understand and at the same time they opened up the session. It was so cool! Then I went into the font followed by Everett and we performed the baptisms for his father and grandfather. I loved having the chance to do it in French and it was just a powerful experience to be a part of. Elder Ritz did the confirmations and the Spirit was so present! Another member of the presidency even taught Everett that his ancestors were probably there present during it all :) Everett loved it. He said that he really felt the Spirit :) It was awesome! :D
That afternoon we got to do some hometeaching with Fr Melerine and then we had dinner with the Rakotomalalas :) After the meal we shared about the Sabbath day and it turned out that Fr. Rako was giving a talk on it the next day! :D It was awesome! :D
Sunday the 10th:
Church was just wonderful! It was even better because we were fasting so the Spirit was even that much stronger. Francois gave a fantastic talk. Sadly Jacques wasn't at church but Fr. Benoit was! :D Then after church we had a big potluck all together. Everyone was flocking around Fr. Benoit and he loved it! Especially the Haitians :) Then after church we took him with us to visit a sick sister and it was just too cool! :D I loved it!
| Fr. Benoit with us on our visit to Sr. Herbin to give the sacrament :)
We took a blind man with us!!! :D It was too cool! |
That night we got out and about to find some more people. I was really touched by the boldness I felt imbued in me :) The Spirit is still helping me get better :) It came a lot from looking at the example of Peter too and how he became fearless of man after the resurrection. Now, I fear no man too! :D
So there's my week!
I love you all so much!
Love,
Elder Brooks :)
No comments:
Post a Comment