The names of all members and investigators have been changed.
So this week I've been thinking a lot on the promises the Lord gives us. Especially as a missionary, we have so many things that we are asked to do. Sometimes it seems like a lot but it almost makes it easier to figure out how to do everything haha :) But the phrase that has been running through my head is this: The Lord will provide when we do what he asks. We have his promise as stated in D&C 82:10 and countless other places :) I've seen that fulfilled in what I learn during studies and in finding new people to teach and even inviting people to be baptized in the first lesson. And each time I have a good experience in doing these things, it strengthens my testimony that the Lord really does watch over us and give us what we need. Just like 2 Nephi 2:27, that which is necessary for man is given to them. (Paraphrasing from how I memorized it in French)
So this week, try to more fully do what the Lord is asking. I know you will see those blessings come. :)
Monday the 30th:
So we went down to the church after emails and got fantastic haircuts by one of the members in Lasalle that Elder Ritz met in his time there. So sweet and free! :D Then during our free time that afternoon I broke out the Turkey Cookie kit and we went at it :D It was really fun and I hope you can have some fun watching the video that we made.
Cooking with the Elders Video
(You will need to go to the blog to watch it.)
That evening we had dinner with the Deselle family. They always feed us great food seeing as Sr. Deselle is from Belgium it's no surprise haha! But we got to watch the Montreal Flashmob from last year with them which was fun and we followed up on the Christmas intiative too :)
Then we visited Fr. Jaeger and focused on temples. We read from 1 Nephi 17 and 18 about Nephi building the boat and how going to the mountain to inquire of the Lord played such a large role in it. But by the end of our lesson we committed him to seek out names to take to the temple and he accepted! (Now tonight we should be helping him to start on that!)
Afterward we didn't have a fixed rendez-vous but we picked out one name from a list of old potentials and we passed by. We were led by the Spirit because this couple was interested and we got more information from them for a later lesson! Then we spent some time walking around in the area. I was amazed by how many people were placed in our path. By the end of 30 minutes we had passed out 2 copies of the Book of Mormon and given out many more A Savior Is Born cards. It was great! The Lord provided!
Tuesday, December 1st:
That day I went on an exchange with Elder Keller from the Mount Royal zone. He's from New York and just great. We got to visit one of their investigators. He's italian and makes leather clothing for a living and he's really good at it. We got to sit down with him and watch the other video on the Church's Christmas website. It was very applicable to him because he had had a rough day. Then we shared Helaman 5:12 and talked about getting through those storms of life by building on the rock. It really touched him and I was grateful to have been an instrument of the Spirit :)
Then that night we got to have Family Home Evening with some members. The childrens' names were Awesome, Praise, Rejoice, and Light. Probably the funniest thing of the day for me was this little conversation.
"So Awesome how old are you?" "I'm 7." "That's awesome!.... (Oh wait)... That IS Awesome!"
Yeah I say awesome a lot whenever I speak English haha :) It was funny :) But we watched part of the Testaments with them and read from 3 Nephi 11. It was great! :D
| Elder Keller and me |
I got back with Elder Ritz for the day and we went at it! After district meeting we picked up Fr. Guenin and got teaching! First we visited Fr. Ngassi and got his Family Mission Plan set up. He had 3 people he wanted to work with and by the end of the day he had invited all of them to come to church and our Christmas party. It was awesome! He even invited his cleaning lady who was there at the same time! :D Then we visited Fr. Esteve. We honestly don't know what he needs right now sadly but we'll keep trying!
We had our regular Wednesday dinner with the Narcisos. So delicious! :D This week I have just been so grateful for all of the ethnic diversity of this mission. We have such good food! I love it! We were able to continue focusing on a Christ centered Christmas with them by reading from Mosiah 3. Great doctrine! Then they shared that one of their friend's wants to invite us over for dinner sometime to talk! Woohoo! Members getting stuff done! :D
Then that night we visited Everett and got him started on his Family History. In a short period, we found that he could do work in the temple for even his father! So exciting!
Thursday the 3rd:
After weekly planning we got to go teach Francois. We had a jam-packed lesson. We started out by talking about Obedience and then we reviewed what he'd read in Mosiah 13 about the 10 commandments. Next we elaborated on the Sabbath Day and finished it out with the Law of Chastity. It was awesome! He said that all of that was just common sense for him! Thank goodness for good upbringings! :D
We jetted over to the Thelissaint's for dinner then. Elder Ritz and I pumped ourselves up before we went in and then we made that Haitian mama proud by how much we ate! It was soooo good! Rice and sauce aux pois. Haitian spiced chicken. So good. I love Haitian food.
Right after we went over to the church for our coordination meeting with Fr. Meline. We got more organized with all of the Family Mission Plans and now we're going to make sure to follow up with at least one family a day! It's great! Then we had the best Ward Council ever! Évêque (Bishop) Nascimento was making assignments left and right and it was so exciting! The work is hastening!
We left a little early because Sr. Cerise asked us to come give a blessing to one of her friends. It was a powerful experience because this woman was going through some tough times and the Spirit was really able to touch her heart through the blessing :)
Friday the 4th:
Friday I went on an exchange with Elder Nilson down to my old stomping grounds of the Champlain Ward in Gatineau. It was awesome! :D I got to go to my old district meeting which was fun. Then after some studies and some administrative affairs we got to go visit Annalee and Jared!!! It was awesome to see them once again and see that they're doing well. I loved studying specifically for them again because I knew them well and love them so much. It seemed to me like Jared looks so much older with his haircut so I had to take another picture with him :) Then the other kids wanted to jump in as well :) The best!
| Jared and me |
But for dinner we went to Le Palais Libanais (The Lebanese Palace). I got myself some shawarma. So good. Seriously I love the diversity here. Shawarma is so good! And I hope you enjoy my Canada Dry ginger ale in there too haha :)
| SHAWARMA!!! :D |
| with Elder Nilson |
Saturday the 5th:
After unexchanging in Hawkesbury, Elder Ritz and I had a little time to study before our first lesson at 11:00 with Marcellus. We met Marcellus on the street during the week. He's 20 and African and super chill. He doesn't really have a strong religious foundation but he affiliates himself with Christianity. We watched the A Savior Is Born video with him and helped him understand who Jesus Christ really is. He took in everything we taught which was awesome! We got him committed to read the Book of Mormon and be baptized! Super excited!
Later that afternoon we went up to Saint Laurent. When we arrived at the Benoit home, Jacques still wasn't there sadly. So we sat down and had a lesson with Fr. Benoit. As we said the closing prayer though, who should walk in but Jacques! It was awesome! So we had back to back lessons in the same room even haha! Jacques is doing very well though. He's reading and understanding more and more. We taught him the first half of the Plan of Salvation and it went great. He's a good bit like Everett was when he was first being taught. He just soaks in everything we teach. Sadly though getting them to church is still a problem since they live far away from any members with cars. But We'll keep looking for the solution!
Then we drove down to Mont-Royal, picked up our bishop, and headed up to see Sr. Garza. Pretty much we got to sit in on Bishop's lesson. They even talked to each other in Portuguese because Sr Garza is from Angola. But Évêque Nascimento was very bold in asking what we can do to help her come to church but Sr Garza avoided a straight answer but after laying down the foundation of why we go to church she said she'd come next week. Woo! Bishop power! We seriously just felt the love he has for her and those priesthood keys he holds were felt too. So great!
Then that evening we visited Fr. Melerine at a Harvey's. He hasn't come to church in a long time and we found out it's because he's having some commandment problems. He felt like he'd be cast out of the church for it all but we were able to assure him that no matter what, he is always welcome at church. I love sharing God's love with everyone :)
Also some exciting news from Saturday! Armand, who I found and started teaching in Granby was baptized along with two of Elle's kids! It was such great news!!! :D
Sunday the 6th:
We had so many people at church! There were so many less-actives that haven't been for a long time and it was so great to see them there! Our testimony meeting was stellar especially when Évêque Nascimento invited the youth to bear their testimonies. It was powerful! Many tears were shed all around. Francois loved it too and he said he felt like he wanted bear his testimony but he wasn't quite ready yet. Next time though! Gospel Principles was on baptism which was perfect for Francois as well :) 1 week! After church we were running all over the place! We helped give a blessing to a member, which Francois got to sit in on :) Then we got to have a little visit with Francois to fill out some paperwork and stuff. Then we went over the baptismal interview questions which he aced. As we talked a little more at the end he said, "I have one last question for you. How can I become a missionary?" How's that for an investigator about to be baptized! So we explained he'd be able to come teaching with us after his baptism but then later in life when he gets married and is all retired he'd be able to serve a mission with his wife :) Super cool :)
That night we had dinner with the Rakotomalalas as well as the Ballins. It was a feast!!! We ate like kings! We talked about missions a lot and it was great because their less-active daughters boyfriend/husband was able to learn a lot about our beliefs and church. It was great! And to finish out we watched the Christmas Devotional together :) I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC SO MUCH! :D Seriously especially MoTab arrangements are just the best :)
So there's my week! I hope you enjoyed reading this week's installment :)
I love you all so very much!
Love
Elder Brooks
No comments:
Post a Comment