Monday, October 5, 2015

Some Things Old and Some Things New (Oct. 5, 2015)

The names of all members and investigators have been changed.

What a week!  A new batch of missionaries!  Three new apostles!  Ten hours of conference!  It has been a feast of the Spirit in all aspects of the phrase.  As conference was this week, my spiritual thought will be weaved into those days :)  But what is most important is take what you learned there and make come changes for the better!

Monday the 28th:
That afternoon we did a lot of planning for getting transfers all orchestrated.  We did a lot of delegating to zone leaders and other teams taking some of the weight of ourselves.  That evening we had dinner with Sr Salvant again.  She invited two friends over who we were able to teach some.  Sadly one wasn't interested but the other was!  But she lives in Laval so we'll have to pass her off.

Then we visited the Jaegers :) We talked about the Sabbath Day with them and Fr. Jaeger pulled out a small plastic cup from his pocket.  He keeps a sacrament cup with him always to help him remember the Savior.  I was amazed by how much love I felt from that action and I could see that he really strived to become more Christlike in all that he does.  What an amazing man.  :)

Tuesday the 29th:
We got to visit Fr. Katanga and teach about the Sabbath Day as well.  He has a lot of faith but needs to make some efforts.  It's just hard for him since he is the only member of the church is his family other than his wife who's returned to her previous church.  But we did our best to invite the Spirit into his home to help him make changes :)

Then we took care of some things in the mission office before going over to the airport!  We waited around for a while and talked to some people there and then we saw the Army of God walking out our way.  So fresh and full of fire! :D  It was really fun being there to greet them and welcome them into the field.  Then we drove them to the mission home.  All the way I was answering their questions which was really fun.  I even spoiled them a little by sharing a box of maple cookies :)  It was weird seeing how young they are and thinking back to how recently I feel like I was in their shoes.  The time passes quickly!  Then we had dinner and spent the evening together :)

Wednesday the 30th:
We got up early and had breakfast at the mission home with them all :)  I 'm quite impressed by them all and have high hopes for them.  Then we journeyed over to the mission office for some trainings and meetings.  We had delegated enough that we got to sit in on more of these great meetings :)  But that one meeting where President pairs all the new companionships up together is always a pleasure to see that first magical moment :)

New Missionaries at Mount Royal :)

New Missionaries with President Patrick

Me and Elder Valencia, Elder Seelos and Elder Di Reda...
I kinda just grabbed some of them to take a picture with haha :)

In the afternoon it was a mad dash to get all the missionaries going to Quebec City or Ottawa to the bus station but it all worked out.  I was able to say goodbye to Elder Soll one last time.  He's right on track for a fantastic life :)

ELDER SOLL!!!

Then we took care of some other movings of things around  and it was done!  Woo!  Success! 
After dinner we got to teach Everett about the law of Chastity and he's just doing so great!  Right on track for October 17th!

Thursday October 1st:
I had the chance to read the talk by Elder Ballard "To the Saints in the Utah South Area."  So good!  I love the simple guidelines he gave of things we need to make a habit and how to really help people find answers to their questions :)  The Book of Mormon is key!

After district meeting we got to see Fr. Esteve and taught about prophets and general conference, getting him excited for it.  But the best part of the day was our ward council.  It was our first one with the new bishopric and it was stellar.  We had a high councilman with us teaching about the Sabbath Day and immediately the members were discussing how to improve our sacrament meetings.  Great changes are being made and we all promised we try to be 10 minutes early at least and seated reverently in the chapel before sacrament meeting :)  I'm so excited! :D

Plastitac plus pictures equals PICTURE WALL! :D
Friday the 2nd:
We had lots and lots of planning that afternoon for the entire transfer.  We looked especially at the upcoming visit of Elder Golden from the 70.  We get to do another mission tour!  Woohoo! :D

Then that night we first visited Sr. Lovell on the doorstep and taught about the importance of reading the Book of Mormon everyday.  Then we went and saw Luc who we also impressed the importance of reading the scriptures everyday and praying too :)  Then with Everett we got to just follow up on that because he's already doing it and having spiritual experiences all the time!  Like one night he was super tired and nearly forgot to say his prayer except the Holy Ghost reminded him :)  Amazing! :D

Saturday the 3rd: GENERAL CONFERENCE!
SUCH A JOY!  I love General Conference so much!  President Uchtdorf really set the tone on keeping the gospel simple.  But all throughout that day I was amazed and how familiar I was with the scriptures shared.  They really have been treasured up :)  I loved Elder Lawrence's talk about how simple the Holy Ghost's promptings can be such as "clean your room" or "don't interrupt people".  I'm excited to see what changes applying that will bring in my life :)  Elder Holland's talk was quite powerful.  Mothers are messianic!  I know personally that that is true!  

But the highlight of my day was the Priesthood Session. It was such a joy seeing Dad and Jonah singing in the choir along with so many other familiar faces from home :)  It just reminded me how sometimes we may feel few in number when in fact there are more of us than we may think :)  

I felt like a great emphasis of that session was sustaining the faith that we have and nourishing it.  It's so important to keep that flame going inside us all so it can extinguish the darkness around us :)  Be like Daniel.  Keep the Commandments relentlessly :)  Just soooo good :)

Sunday the 4th:
And Sunday was just as good :)  I'm not sure if I've kept the sessions all straight and who talked when but I loved President Nelson's talk on women and the three new Apostles.  I loved their humility in bringing up the fact that they are "weak things of the earth" called to preach the gospel to all the world.  I'm very excited to learn more from their examples.  Ponderizing is now a thing :)  And Elder Bednar really bore testimony about the prophet and apostles.  It was powerful and a spiritual feast for all who came ready :)  

We had a great time eating with members between and after and discussing all we were learning.  It really kept the conference going and the Spirit present.  It's just like the Sabbath!  We have to keep it going all throughout our week! :D  I am so grateful for it :)  We are so blessed to have living prophets and apostles called of God to guide us and teach us :)  I know they are inspired of God!

So that was my week!  On my personal study time I finished John today and I can truly say that my testimony of the Savior has grown because of it :)  I love the Savior with all my heart and I hope that this week I'll be able to become more like him in following the counsel we have received.

Something to Ponderize that I read this morning and thought about -

Why seek ye the living among the dead?
He is not here, but is risen.

I love you all so much!  Thank you for your examples and love :)

Love,
Elder Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment